On 9/23/16: FDA approved Amjevita (Humira biosimilar)
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration today approved Amjevita (adalimumab-atto) as a biosimilar to Humira (adalimumab) for multiple inflammatory diseases.
Amjevita is approved for the following indications in adult patients:
- moderately to severely active rheumatoid arthritis;
- active psoriatic arthritis;
- active ankylosing spondylitis (an arthritis that affects the spine);
- moderately to severely active Crohn’s disease;
- moderately to severely active ulcerative colitis; and
- moderate to severe plaque psoriasis.
…Amjevita is biosimilar to Humira. It has been approved as a biosimilar, not as an interchangeable product.