Full Text Link: Intensive Care Management of Acute Liver Failure
This article provides a very good overview of this topic starting withe diagnosis, epidemiology and proceeding to specific management issues/outcomes.
Table 1 reviews etiologies –indeterminant is most common. Table 2 shown below reviews management principles and Table 3 reviews specific treatments based on etiology. Table 4 reviews grades of encephalopathy.
My take (from authors): “Despite recent advances in supportive care and the improvements in outcomes observed…the practical intensive care management of PALF remains poorly defined…Current treatment options are merely supportive and based on incomplete adult data and local institutional experience.”
Related blog posts:
- Acute Liver Failure -Is there a role for steroids?
- Predicting outcome in Pediatric Acute Liver Failure
- N-acetylcysteine for Acute Liver Failure
- Changing Approach to Neonatal Acute Liver Failure | gutsandgrowth
- NASPGHAN Postgraduate Course 2014 -Liver Module