FDA Announcement Aug 3, 2017: FDA approves Mavyret for Hepatitis C
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration today approved Mavyret (glecaprevir and pibrentasvir) to treat adults with chronic hepatitis C virus (HCV) genotypes 1-6 without cirrhosis (liver disease) or with mild cirrhosis, including patients with moderate to severe kidney disease and those who are on dialysis. Mavyret is also approved for adult patients with HCV genotype 1 infection who have been previously treated with a regimen either containing an NS5A inhibitor or an NS3/4A protease inhibitor but not both.
Mavyret is the first treatment of eight weeks duration approved for all HCV genotypes 1-6 in adult patients without cirrhosis who have not been previously treated. Standard treatment length was previously 12 weeks or more.
Related blog posts:
- New HCV Treatments Effective in Adolescents
- HCV Guidelines
- Hepatitis C : New and Newer Treatments
- Word of Caution with New Hepatitis C Medications | gutsandgrowth
- FDA Approval of HCV Medications for Children, 12-17 years
- Keeping Track of HCV Trials -Three More